A network firewall protects a computer network from unwanted access. Firewalls are responsible for shielding an internal computer network against malicious access from the outside world, such as malware-infested websites or vulnerable open network ports.
If you see blinking LED lights on your Netgear device, then it means that the device is not ready for Netgear extender setup process. When your lights are on your device are stable, then only you can proceed further with anything else.
Let us ask you a question first. Are you aware of the features and advantages of your Netgear device?
- Your device has the capability of spreading the internet range all over the house.
- A powerful inbuilt firewall.
A network firewall security protects you from an unauthorized attack caused by mysterious people and cybercriminals that are always in a chance to enter in your home network to steal all the private and confidential data.
Now, let us show you how to enable the Network firewall
What does the term firewall mean and why should we turn it on?
The term “firewall” is a digital equivalent of a traffic cop that secures your network boundaries from unknown people. In today’s modern era, technology offers two types of firewall: The software based and the hardware based.
A hardware-based firewall: It is a unit that is connected between the internet and a networking device.
A software-based firewall: It is a program that is installed on the computer with a secured internet connection.
In addition, a network firewall is well-known to prevent the attacks that are Internet-borne port based.
Configure and Enable the Feature of inbuilt Firewall on your Wireless Device
Onto the mywifiext.net setup page look for SPI (Stateful packet inspection) firewall or something similar to it. After that, in front of your home screen, you will see a button that is named as “enable”. You have to hit on that button and save the settings by clicking on “apply”.
Your Netgear device will be rebooted automatically. Don’t worry; it is just because you have applied the setting to enable a firewall security to protect your network and WiFi devices.
As soon as you enabled the settings, you will have to configure it – add the rules of firewall to control the settings of security related to your internet.
For more assistance, ask us for Netgear support at toll-free number 1-844-697-8376.
A Beneficial Note
During the Netgear installation and setup process, we recommend our users to disable public WiFi and only enable your personal hotspot and:
- Place it near to existing WiFi router and away from doors, windows, concrete walls, reflection of mirrors, Bluetooth devices, electronic gadgets/ toys, treadmill, baby monitors, microwave, cordless phones, refrigerator, and fish tanks.
- Also, place your router and the range extender at a higher neat, clean, and dry shelf.
- Connect them physically and properly with each other via an Ethernet cable.
- Open a web browser and into the URL bar type mywifiext.net.
- Hit enter and onto the displayed page fill the default username and password and hit on Log In.
- As soon as the home page of Netgear Genie appears, follow the on-screen instructions and till it asks you to click on ‘Finish’ to complete the setup process.
Note: You can also type 192.168.1.250 or simple mywifiext in case mywifiext.net won’t redirect you to the setup page.
If you are still facing login issues, then:
- Use the latest and updated Netgear extender firmware. Also, use the latest version on firmware on your main router and the existing modem.
- Your modem, router, and the Netgear range extender shouldn’t be overheated.
- Clear cache, cookies, browsing history, junk files, and malware from your PC, restart your device and opt for a different web browser.
We hope that the entire aforementioned steps related to your Netgear extender setup and enabling firewall security actually helped you. If you need any help and assistance, then don’t forget that our tech support team is always ready to help you. We are the service provider for Netgear. It will be a great honor for us to help you.